In honor of Black History Month, this week we will be highlighting the Fred Douglass School. The first “Colored School” was established in 1876 in Quakertown, the African-American community located in what is now known as Quakertown Park just a few blocks northeast from the Square. Located at the corner of Terry and Holt Streets until it burned in 1913, the school was named after famed abolitionist, statesman, social reformer, and writer Frederick Douglass. After the mysterious fire, the school was rebuilt at its current site in Southeast Denton and retained that name until the late 1940s when it was renamed for longtime principal and community leader Fred Moore.
Here is early principal J. T. McDonald:
Next we have Mr Fred Moore:
Finally, here is a class photo from 1941 showing the exterior of the building which is still extant at 815 Cross Timber St in Southeast Denton:
“The Quakertown Story”, The Denton Review, Denton County Historical Society, Winter 1991.
“Quakertown: 1870-1922”, Denton County Historical Commission, 1991.
Written by Chuck Voellinger. Questions and comments can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org