Urban Fiction, also called Street Lit or Hip Hop Fiction, has been around for a while, but seems to have exploded in the last few years. A growing number of authors are being picked up by publishers focusing on the urban fiction phenomenon. Urban fiction features characters living in urban settings, coping with gritty situations such as drug dealing or gang violence. Often, tough choices are made in an attempt to get out of the hood. Urban fiction is known for its drama, divas, and hustlers. It is very realistic and can feature strong language, violent acts, and adult situations. Urban fiction isn’t for the faint of heart. If you like fast paced, gritty novels with high drama and entertainment value give Urban Fiction a try.
New to Urban Fiction? Get started with these authors:
Wahida Clark is known as the “The Queen of Street Literature.” Her Thug series and Payback series novels have appeared on the New York Times, Essence, and USA Today bestseller lists.
Nikki Turner is a New York Times bestselling author. Her Hustler’s Wife series is a great place to start.
K’Wan is the recipient of the 2012 and 2013 Street Lit Book Award Medals.
Joy Deja King is the Literary Sweetheart of the hip hop fiction genre and is an Essence bestselling author.
Carl Weber is the author of 14 New York Times Bestselling novels and has started his own publishing company, Urban Books, LLC.
Looking for more?
Check out the Urban Fiction display at the Emily Fowler Central Library. Urban fiction titles are on display and ready for checkout through early September.
Visit Novelist Plus to see more Urban Fiction authors and titles.
- Go to the library online catalog (http://library.cityofdenton.com) and click on “Research Tools.”
- Go to the “Books & Reading” section and click on “Novelist Plus.”
- Enter you library card number to login.
- Search for titles or authors to find read-alikes.
- To see a list of almost 2,000 Urban Fiction titles, type “Urban Fiction” in the search bar. When the results appear, click “Genre” from the menu on the left side of the screen. Select “Urban Fiction” to narrow down the results to the Urban Fiction genre.
- Once you find a title you like, click the “Check the Library Catalog” link to see if it is part of the Denton Public Library collection.