Archive for June 1, 2012
The Denton Public Library invites you to join us in celebrating its 75 years of service to the Denton community. The celebration will take place at the Emily Fowler Central Library, 502 Oakland Street, on June 6, 2012 at 4:00 PM, followed by a live performance of the award-winning Library Larry at 5:00 PM.
The Denton Public Library opened as the Denton City-County Public Library on June 6, 1937, and was located on the third floor of the Denton County Courthouse. In 1935, the Junior Shakespeare Club started a movement to combine the Denton County School Library with a public library. The club collected more than 4,000 books in a house-to-house canvass of the entire city. The first librarian was Mattie Wilson, followed by Bess McCullar, Emily Fowler, Joella Orr, and Eva Poole. The Emily Fowler Central Library opened in its current location in 1949, with additions designed by O’Neil Ford in 1969 and 1981. The Emily Fowler Central Library was renovated and reopened in 2005. The South Branch Library opened in 1995 and renovated in 2010, and the North Branch Library opened in 2003.
The Denton Public Library is proud to have been an active partner within the Denton community for 75 years. Please join us for this historic event celebrating this important milestone.